A Guide To Renewing a CSCS Card
A CSCS card is an essential prerequisite to becoming a construction worker, and it shows that you have the knowhow needed for this type of employment.
For example, many employers consider those who hold a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card to be qualified in areas such as carpentry,masonry,chemicals used on constructionsitesand site safety and more.
The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is the leading skills certifications scheme in the UK construction industry, providing proof of qualifications and training.This UK-based accreditation scheme requires workers to renew their card and qualification level every five years. In cases of nonrenewal, you risk having it revoked.
In this guide, we cover everything you need to know about renewing a CSCS card in order to avoid receiving a fine from your employer.
The Renewal Process
CSCS cards last five years and after that employees are required to take a CSCS renewal test. It’s a good idea to start the renewal process six months before or after they expire.
CSCS renewals are quick, easy and convenient when booked online or over-the-phone. Here are some important steps you need to follow:
- The first step is passing the CITB, health, safety, and environment test. The test contains 50 questionsthat is all about how you would react if a certain event happened on a construction site. These questions will challenge your knowledge of different situations such as what should be done if there was a fire or some type of chemical spillage in one part of the area while other members were working close by.
- After passing the CITB test, you can call the helpline to get started on your card renewal process. They will guide you onwhat card is right for your job or if any additionaltraining is required.The different types of CSCS cards include:
- Green CSCS Card – for Labourers
- Blue CSCS Card – for Skilled Craft employees
- Gold CSCS Card – for employees in an advanced supervisory role
- Black CSCS Card – for managers
- White CSCS Card – employees connected to building market
- Yellow CSCS Card – for Visitors
- Red CSCS Card – for experienced employees
Note: when you do your CSCS test with EM Training Solutions, we take care of your CSCS card application. After completing your CSCS test, your CSCS card will be delivered to you within 10 working days.
We are unable to run our testcenter at full capacity due to the safety measures put in place because of Covid-19, however, the governing body(CITB) has recognised that construction workers may face delays in obtaining their Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) cards.
Some employers have been requesting site access for employees who are facing delays in receiving their new cards. The CITB has recognisedthis and has requested employers responsible for site access to use discretion when dealing with workers who are unable to take tests as a result of delays caused by Covid-19.
If this sounds like something that interests you, contact EM Training Solutions today to find out more about our available programs. We offer comprehensive training and learning options, so, it’s easy to get started right away.